First of all, so sorry it took so long to do this final post. Lots to do in my life. And lots more to still do. When you are an author there is always more you can do.
The long and the short of it, Kindle Scout did not accept my book. BUT… they didn’t accept my book buddy Ben Muse’s book either –I talked about him previously, the author who had his Kindle Scout campaign simultaneous with mine. Ben’s book Matters of the Heart was in the Hot & Trending list almost every day. I thought he was a shoe-in. So, if you think you have a shoe-in, maybe not. We never know what goes on behind closed doors with publishers and we never have.
YET I REMIND YOU THE KS EXPERIENCE IS A WIN-WIN!!
I gained readers and a following and it forced me to market aggressively. And, I have yet to self pub and get the extra bonus of clicking the thank you letter button (see below). That is for later this month!
What was learned
For me, I knew I was sneaking in a non-fiction genre into a fiction pool, and so ended up like an under cover cop that was busted and thrown out of the biker bar. My sense is that Kindle Scout is looking for only books that…
a) fit a genre mold perfectly
b) are well written
c) have an author with some marketing savvy
d) have potential to be a series or are already planned as a series.
Not a series person? Amazon has other imprints that are looking for one-off novels, having just talked to an editor at Lake Union, their more literary imprint.
A QUICK REVIEW
Things that worked and I would recommend:
- KBoards.com Writer’s Café see my previous post here that lists the posts to read etc.
- Steve Vernon on Kboards who gives a shout to all to vote and will put your book on his list if you ask nicely! Lots of my votes came from Kboards
- Your Email Signature see my previous post here that shows an example
- Make your campaign link obvious on all your blog sites and VERY important list the link as both under graphics and in text form so they see the entire correct link – this is important for social media that automatically converts it to an image, you should add the link twice.
- Facebook Groups for Book Promos
- Develop mentors and relationships with those authors that are doing better than you. They will post it somewhere you don’t know about and may not have access to.
PLUS…Your Outgoing Thank You Message – and How it Works
These are two examples of outgoing messages from Ben Muse and then Me — Which do you think is more effective and why?
I think they both have merits but you decide. REMINDER: They send this when you are not chosen AND a second time when you decide to self pub on Kindle BUT>>>>You have to actually click the button on your (old) KS campaign for it to send to all your voters. Yes your campaign page stays up for quite awhile after the campaign so don’t lose your account log-in.
FINALLY, MY Numbers
These are the figures and data that the Scout Campaign tracks for you. NOTE: VIEWS, NOT VOTES are tabulated. To understand some of my take on these numbers you can look at my previous posts or do your own analysis.
Would I do it all again. Yes, and better too.
Hope you learned something and if you did, please leave me a comment or subscribe or both!!